Code of Conduct
Campus Compact is dedicated to providing a harassment-free and inclusive event experience, whether in-person or online, for everyone regardless of gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disabilities, neurodiversity, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, age, religion, veteran status, or other protected category. We do not tolerate harassment of event participants in any form. Campus Compact takes violations of our policy seriously and will respond appropriately.
All participants of Campus Compact events must abide by the following policy:
- Be excellent to each other. We want the event to be an excellent experience for everyone. Treat everyone with respect. Participate while acknowledging that everyone deserves to be here—and each of us has the right to enjoy our experience without fear of harassment, discrimination, or condescension, whether blatant or via micro-aggressions. Jokes shouldn’t demean others. Consider what you are saying and how it would feel if it were said to or about you.
- Let's all take responsibility for maintaining the kind of space we need. Speak up if you see or hear something. The person making you feel uncomfortable may not be aware of what they are doing, and politely bringing their behavior to their attention is encouraged. If a participant engages in harassing or uncomfortable behavior, the event organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning or expelling the offender from the event with no refund. If you are being harassed or feel uncomfortable, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of the event staff immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or submitting an anonymous complaint at compact.org/code-of-conduct.
- Harassment is not tolerated. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal language that reinforces social structures of domination related to gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disabilities, neurodiversity, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, age, religion, or other protected category
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they’re not appropriate
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Offensive verbal language
- Physical contact without consent or after a request to stop
- Threats of violence
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Practice saying "Yes and" to each other. It’s a theatre improv technique to build on each other’s ideas. We all benefit when we create together.
- This policy extends to talks, sessions, special events, social media, parties, hallway conversations, all attendees, partners, sponsors, volunteers, event staff, etc. You catch our drift.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, event organizers retain the right to take any actions to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender or expulsion from the conference with no refund. Event organizers may take action to redress anything designed to disrupt, or with the clear impact of disrupting, the event or making the environment hostile for any participants.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all event venues and event-related social activities. We think people should follow these rules outside event activities too!
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it as soon as possible. Our event staff can usually be identified by name badges. Harassment and other code of conduct violations reduce the value of our event for everyone. We want you to be happy at our event. People like you make our event a better place.
Event staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing discomfort or harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.